When I think of Halloween, I think of 2 things, firstly where the holiday comes from and the desire to return to old-fashioned ways and of course, just the general fun that can be had with what the holiday has become. So I try to make the most of both..
In case you want a reminder of where the holiday comes from and how it evolved into todays merriment, Apples 4 The Teacher explains. They also have a whole lot of Halloween activities to suit all ages… So take a peek…
There are so many fun things that you can do with the kids to make the most of the Holiday but Pumpkin Carving for me is an essential activity :). We have always held a party for the kids and served all sorts of fun foods and everyone has dressed up and played games and just generally enjoyed the festivities.
My eldest loves Halloween! I mean, you get to dress up, have a party with your friends and go and collect sweets and treats from the neighbours … at night (She is only 5 1/2) Because of that, I try to make an effort for her. This year, things may be a bit different having moved, but we will just have to find our groove here.
Fun things we have done before:
- Made up our own rhyming party invite Halloween Invitation 2010.doc
- Made up Word Searches, Sudoku’s and a special Halloween Bingo
- Made our own Trick or Treat Bags
- Turned part of the house into a Haunted House with all sorts of decoration including home-made
- Mixed an Adults Party with a Kids Party
Food for the Halloween Banquets in the past have included:
- Witches Knitting (Chunky Spaghetti Bolognaise)
- Ghoulish Pumpkin Fondue (Fondue served in a roasted pumpkin)
- Trick or Treat Pizzas
- Ghastly Pick n Mix (Creepy sweet treats in different jars)
- Witches Brew (Fruit punch with floating decorations)
- Jelly Jack O’ Lanterns (Hollowed out oranges carved into Jack O’ Lanterns and filled with Jelly)
Here are some other fun ideas I am considering for this year…
Re-labeling some bottled drinks to suit the occasion with a little help from Hostess with the Mostess…
Apple Smiles by Annabel Karmel on Disney Family
Green Meanies found on How Stuff Works…
Mummy Dogs found on Our Best Bites … Lots of other great ideas can be found there too 🙂
Hungry Happenings has given me a great idea with these Monster Cheese Balls…
Halloween Quesadillas by Monster Mama are easy, tasty and fun 🙂
For me, lots of the fun to be had is in the planning and making with the kids.